It is found that at home microneedling roller are much more cost effective than professional treatment. At-home microneedling roller uses shorter needles that can effectively help to reduce pore sizes, oil production, fine lines, and wrinkles.
In order to obtain best at-home microneedling treatment you should choose appropriate device, read all instructions, clean, sanitize the device. You should glide the device carefully over the skin and finally store the device properly. We will discuss in detail in 3 parts with 12 steps.
Part-1. Prepairing for microneedling at home:
Selecting device: At first you need to choose a best quality microneedle roller for your skin. There are three types of devices to use at home namely derma roller, derma stamp, and derma pen.To know detail of microneedling roller features ia also very important. The derma roller is the least expensive option that glides along the skin as like as paint roller.
Some dermatologist recommend the stamp or pen as they can penetrate vertically with lesser pain, allow easier movement near nose, mouth and eye for better result. You can easily shop this device online while the price varies from $50-$200.
Size of needles: Most of the at-home microneedling roller use shorter length devices that those of experts and professionals. For examples the clinical needles are from 0.5 -3mm while at home needle s are from 0.25-1mm only.
For anti aging you can use this range depending on affected area. In case of acne scars you can even use needle of 1.5mm in length. If you need to use a longer needle you should consult the local dermatologist.
Read the instruction: Before using the at-home microneedling roller you should read all the instructions. The instructions will provide you all the information regarding set up, use safely and storage the product.
Products are slightly different from each other so you need to read carefully the instruction. Depending on the type of microneedle you are to select needle size that is fitted with whole body.
- Sanitize the microneedling device: Before you start the treatment you must sanitize the device. Place the device, needle side down in a small bowl containing rubbing alcohol. Leave it for 2/3 minutes and then rinse with luke warm water and dry up.
- Wash and clean your face: Wash your face and remove any makeup that exists with gentle cleanser. This will remove all dirt, make up and grime from the surface of your skin. It will facilitate to remove any bacteria that can enter into the skin during procedure. Dry naturally after you wash the face.
Part-2. Derma roller, derma pen or derma stamp at-home:
- Visualize face in sections: Mentally divide your face into six sections as forehead, cheeks, chin, nose, eye area and upper lip. This will help to ensure to cover the entire face when microneedling. If however you desire you can also use this device in your neck and upper chest.
Glide the device across your face: Turn on your device and gently glide it across your face. You should move the roller horizontally, vertically and diagonally across your skin surface. This should be done section wise one after another so that no confusion arises.
You can use your other hand to pull your skin tight. It will make the device easier to maneuver. Do not go to the same section again and again instead you should count equal numbers for all sections to get proper and uniform treatment.
- Don’t apply much pressure: While microneedling at-home uses derama roller, derma pen or derma stamp don’t put pressure on the device and instead apply gentle or moderate pressure. If you apply too much pressure it can cause damage to the skin with bleeding.
Lift the device when changing direction: Lift the device whatever it may be when you intend to change the direction of movement. Never turn or drag the roller from vertical position to diagonal position while the device is still touching the skin surface.
This may cause your skin to be torn. As a result there might arise other issue on the skin which wills deteriorate the original treatment.
Part-3. At-home microneedling aftercare:
To get the best derma roller result from at home microneedling you must be careful to follow aftercare tips.
- Do not wash for 6-8 hours after microneedling at-home: Microneedling does not damage the skin but some redness and swelling may occur after microneedling. Allow the skin to remain at rest until the redness and swelling disappear within a few hours. Avoid using makeup for at least 24 hours and ensure to use sunblock when you are in sunlight.
Microneedling tool disinfect: when you finish the job of microneedling at home rinse the device and place it in a bowl containing rubbing alcohol. This will disinfect the device of any bacteria from the skin surface.
It is very important to keep the device always clean and sanitary. Do not share your derma pen, derma roller or derma stamp with anybody may be your family member or your close friend that may cause cross infection. It should be considered as completely personal device.
- Store the device in original place: After the microneedling procedure at home is finished store the tool in its original case. This will prevent not to be broken the pen, roller or stamp. Moreover it will not damage from sudden fall and there is less chance of infected.
How changed my face at home using derma roller?
It is noted that for home use the best size of needle is 0.5 mm though it may vary as per skin issues. You must choose a roller of high quality otherwise it may damage the skin. So following the instruction in the package I rolled the device horizontally, vertically and diagonally over each side of face, chin, nose, lip, forehead, and neck with mild pressure.
No need to push just rolls gently. I felt comfortable and no pain, only slight pinching that I felt. After finishing I put some best quality serum and went to bed. Next morning I was as usual and my face was glowing.