Pregnancy pillows are very much beneficial not only at the pregnancy period but also after birth as well. Most women use their pregnancy pillows after given birth baby and their baby has grown up.
Depending on your pain and aches you can set position of your pregnancy pillow in different ways. That is why pregnancy pillows are made in variety of size and shapes. Make sure to select top quality full body pillow that suits individual needs.
Choosing Shape of Your Pregnancy Pillow:
Wedge- shaped pregnancy pillow:
You can use pillow with wedge shaped while sitting down or reclining body to support your belly or back when lying in one side.
Since this type of pillows is small and portable, they are convenient to use. Still you need to use your regular pillow.
You can either choose triangular or crescent shape wedge pregnancy pillow whichever your preference. Keep in mind that different shape does not differ in benefits.
You can use a U shaped pregnancy pillow that will support whole body from head to neck, belly, back, knees & ankles. These pillows are very helpful for those women who sleep on their back. These are also convenient for those who toss and turn during night, need not to readjust their pillow.
It is important to know how to use a U shaped pregnancy pillow for safety measures. The U shape pillow is the biggest size pillow and much more expensive. So before choosing see whether your bed is small one that needs a smaller pillow.
These pillows are smaller than U-shaped pillows and suitable for small or medium size beds. These pillows support your head, back, neck and pelvic area. They are famous for relieving tension and reducing water stocking ankles and legs.
The main drawback is as you need to adjust the pregnancy pillow at night as you change sides. Since it has got asymmetrical shape, it is highly recommended pillow for plus-size woman.
This exactly same design as the U-shaped pillow, only difference in smaller size and without extra side. If your bed is medium size then look for this pillow. This pillow can easily support your head, neck and back effectively.
Full length Pillow:
It is also known as I-shaped pillow, straight in shape and run along the full length of the body. They looks like a regular pillow but they are longer. You can easily wrap your leg and arm around by this pillow. However they don’t support your back.
These pillows are available in flexible versions as well. These are easily bendable and conform to your full body but these pillow are generally few more expensive.
Positioning the Pregnancy Pillow:
Pregnancy pillow positions are very important aspect for a pregnant woman, as it renders comfortness and remove risks.
- Wedge the pregnancy pillow under belly: When you laying on your side place the wedge shaped pregnancy pillow underneath belly, It will help you support belly as well as back muscles when get sleep.
- Place the pillow between leg and arms: Wrap your arm and legs around a full length pregnancy pillow or U-shaped pillow. The pillow center should support your belly and the position is akin to cuddling and hugging the pillow.
When you place the pillow between your arms and legs that will relieve the tension of your ankle and knee joints.
- Wrap pillow around your back: You can easily wrap C, J. U shaped pregnancy pillow between your legs & along your back. This pillow position will give support to your upper, lower back as well as pelvis when you are asleep. If you feel uncomfortable on back side during sleeping this will prevent discomfort. If you like you can set a wedge shaped pregnancy pillow behind back in order to support lower back.
- Support your neck & head: Place the wedge shaped pregnancy pillow underneath regular pillow to support your neck & head. This position will help you in relieving symptoms like reflux and heartburn.
When you go for using C, J, or U shape pillow, your spine to be aligned by putting your neck and head over the pillow as like you are using a regular one.
Selecting High Quality Pregnancy pillow:
Pillow with hollow fiber feeling: Both fiber filling and polystyrene foam are hypoallergenic. Also these are water and smell resistant. These feelings are washer friendly. Pillows with these types of fillings are expensive depending on the pillow size.
It is important to note whatever pregnancy pillow you choose, make sure that the pillow will able to support your weight not deforming the actual shape throughout your pregnancy period. For example if you are a full size woman you can better choose foam pillow as because these tend to hold pillow shape better.
A lightweight pregnancy pillow: Pregnancy pillows that are filled using styrofoam balls are more light weight. Moreover the balls allow pillow to conform to your full body. One drawback is that there is some noise while you move around.
The noise is similar to beanbag when you lay on it. These types of pillows are cheaper pregnancy pillows. Pregnancy pillows with Styrofoam filling is not machined washable, so make sure to have a cover pillow, easy to wash.
A supportive pregnancy pillow: Pillows which microbead filling are the most supportive than Styrofoam ball filling pillow. Those are also very lightweight & make very little sound when you move around. The microbead filling pillows are cheaper than the Styrofoam ball filling pillows. Also depend on the pillow size too.
The microbead filling pillow can be machine washable, so if you choose better take with removable cover so that you can easily wash.
Body conforming pregnancy pillow: Pregnancy pillow filled with memory foam easily conforms to body and holds their shape perfectly. The drawback is that it is not breathable and that is why it becomes hot as you sleep throughout the night.
Pillows with memory foam are much expensive and also depending on pillow size. Moreover memory foam pillows are machine washable. If you are worried about becoming hot try with a shredded memory foam. This has got the same benefits, but more air can flow making it cool.
- Pillow with removable cover: Pregnancy pillows with removable cover are great as because you can clean them very easily. All you need to remove the cover & wash as per instructions on the tag. Better choose pillows with zip.
Take note of the pillow size: You should try to get a pillow that is 8-11 feet long if you are taller than average woman. If you are with average height looks for pillow 6-7 feet long. The size of the pillow also depend s on the size of your bed.
For example- if your bed is small or medium don’t go for big pillows. Keep in mind that length of pillows and style can affect for example pillows of u shaped are longer than pillows of other types.
- Try a firm pregnancy pillow: Although it is tempting for all to get a soft pillow, it is recommended to get a pillow that is slightly firm. A farmer pillow will give you more support and will be long lasting without affecting its shape. It may be not comfortable at first but later on it will be accustomed.